Join the Neo-Zionist
Revolution!

  • Receive our Kummunique:
    unique and informative emails
    about events, articles, and info
    to keep you in touch.

Kumah Mascots

Kumah Awards

*** THE ALIYAH REVOLUTION ALBUM ***

Monday, April 16, 2007

Yom HaShoah in the Air and Siren at the Airport


I returned home to Israel this morning. First I'd like to give credit to El Al, the Israeli airline, for commemorating Yom HaZikaron L'Shoah V'LeGvurah (Holocaust Memorial Day) - My flight (which was supposed to take off at 2:30 PM but was delayed by a big storm - "nor'easter") took off around 5 PM. After the first cycle of movies, it was around the 7:30 PM, which was about the time of sunset, and thus the start of Yom HaShoah. At that point, El Al changed its movie schedule and showed only Holocaust related movies the rest of the trip (Life is Beautiful and Everything Is Illuminated).
We were supposed to land at 7:30 AM Israel time, but when we got delayed, I was worried we might still be in the air for the siren. Baruch Hashem we managed to get in at 9:38 AM. By 10, I was in the terminal, looking out from above the area with all the duty free stores and restaurants where people wait before boarding their flights. Then the siren went off and everyone stopped. People walking with coffee, the cleaning people, waiters, and everyone else (except a few kids who didn't know better) stopped in their spots, stood up if they were sitting, and listened and remembered. Here are some pictures:

Before the siren

I just noticed that the floor has a Magen David (Jewish star) outline - cool!

During The Siren


The waiters and waitresses actually stopped in these positions

The guy with the coffee stopped too

The siren started at 10 and lasted a few minutes

Even the cleaning person stopped

Labels: ,







2 Comments:

  • At 2:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    This is very cool. I stumbled upon this and as an American non-jew it brought a tear to my eye. The Jewish spirit is alive and well. I too caught this moment of remembrence because of these photos. Thank you.

     
  • At 6:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I am also an American Christian. As I have read my Bible I have become more and more, I thnk what is called a Christian Zionist. My dream was to go to Israel, and it was fulfilled. I still wonder how something this horrible can happen without the world rising up to defend these people. They are God's chosen people, and I think those that were apart of this are going to have a hard time answering to God. I was able to visit the Yad Vashem and I could not even speak, it was like someone sat an hot iron on my heart.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home