Join the Neo-Zionist
Revolution!

  • Receive our Kummunique:
    unique and informative emails
    about events, articles, and info
    to keep you in touch.

Kumah Mascots

Kumah Awards

*** THE ALIYAH REVOLUTION ALBUM ***

Sunday, March 13, 2005

Crazy Settlers by Go´el Jasper


We're crazy settlers.

At least, that's what everyone tells us. That's what the newspaper says. That's what the new "security fence map" shows. That's even what relatives say when we invite them to visit us.

But it's strange, because I don't feel like a crazy settler. I do believe there are crazy settlers. I just don't think I'm one of them. Nevertheless, I figured you would be interested to know what the average day of a crazy settler is like.

I wake up in the morning, go to shul, come home and help Gilla (a little) get the kids ready for school. Then I drive to work. The kids walk to school.

Is that crazy?

When I get to work, I make myself a cup of coffee, check my emails and conduct the business of the day. Sometimes, I have the privilege of driving to Tel Aviv for a meeting, in which case I get to enjoy the unbelievable views that Israel affords me.

Is that crazy?

If I'm in the office, I eat lunch (sometimes) and daven Mincha. Every once in a while, someone knocks on my office door and walks into my office while I'm praying. When they see what I'm doing, they just close the door again.

After Mincha, I continue working, often until 8:00 or 9:00pm. Maybe that's a little crazy, but not in a "settler" kind of way.

Then, I turn off my computer, put on my coat and leave. I get in my car and drive home. When I get home, I spend some time with Gilla (and the kids, if they're still awake). Then, I daven Maariv, lock the front door and go to sleep.

I mean, what's crazy about that day? What's settler-like about that day?

I'm just living the life of someone who takes seriously the words of our prayers and of our Torah. I believe that this is the land promised to our forefathers, and that it is where all Jews should be living. Isn't that what we read in our prayers? In our Tanach (Bible)?

So, I don't really consider myself a crazy settler, even though you might. But, as I said before, I do believe there are crazy settlers.

I'll tell you what's crazy. Crazy is having to remove your kipah when you get to the office, or not even feeling comfortable enough to wear one around your own town. Crazy is having to pack an extra suitcase filled with canned food for any vacation you take. Crazy is raising millions of dollars for new synagogue buildings outside Eretz Yisrael, yet complaining about not having enough money to make Aliyah. Crazy is having a problem with the lower job salaries in Israel, and then spending $40,000 (or more) of your American salary on education for your kids.

To me, crazy settlers are people who call themselves Zionists, yet spend $250,000 redoing a house in some town outside Eretz Yisrael. A crazy settler is someone who toils away cultivating their yard even when there's no religious significance to doing so. A crazy settler is someone who spends an hour (or more) each morning and an hour (or more) each afternoon sitting in his or her car, driving kids to and from school.

Perhaps that crazy settler is closer than you think.
Crazy Settlers by Go´el Jasper" onmouseover="return addthis_open(this, '', 'http://kumahblog.blogspot.com/2005/03/crazy-settlers-by-goel-jasper.html', 'Crazy Settlers by Go´el Jasper')" onmouseout="addthis_close()" onclick="return addthis_sendto()">






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home