Join the Neo-Zionist
Revolution!

  • Receive our Kummunique:
    unique and informative emails
    about events, articles, and info
    to keep you in touch.

Kumah Mascots

Kumah Awards

*** THE ALIYAH REVOLUTION ALBUM ***

Friday, March 11, 2005

Forgotten Dreams


An Aliyah Poem from Yissochar Dov Berg, a student at the Yeshiva in Bat Ayin.

Forgotten Dreams
Parshat Ki Tavo

When you come in to the Land
When?
When will you come?
She's baffled by your abandonment
After all those years of pain and hardship
Trying to enter these borders
Suddenly when it's right open in front of you
You turn around, ignore her.

Those dense barriers couldn't prevent you
From doing all you could
You cried for her
You died for her
Yet never gave up hope
"A day will come," you told yourself
"When the struggle will pay off
My sufferings will have paved an open path
And I will rise in freedom to greet her
I will then behold her battered beauty
And nurture her back to health.
When that day comes?
I will never leave her
Or forget this pain I feel without her."

Something must have changed
Because now the doors are open
And she's right there on the floor
Lying in her shame
Neglected and abused
Repulsive to the eye
You quickly turn around
And slam the door behind

"There's nothing there for me
Just another land
I'm a lot safer here
Where I can live in more esteem
I feel bad about the shape she's in
But there's nothing I can do
The time must not be right
I'll wait for her attractiveness to return
Meanwhile this temporary substitute suits me just fine
We've built a strong life together
I can't just leave it all behind
Especially for THAT
But I'll raise their flags together
I'll show I still do care
I'll even send a get-well note
And check up now and then
That's a lot more than my share
Especially in this busy life
With this new substitute of mine
Which has become very dear to me."

That temporary dwelling is not your home
Here is where you belong
Stop acting as a tourist
While your wife is giving birth
And there's blood all around
All she needs is to hold your hand
But you remain behind the glass
Peering as an observer
Disgusted by the sight
You just stand there and shake your head
Murmuring "what a shame"

Does the blood scare you?
Are you afraid of life?
Would you rather still your own heartbeat
To live a comfortable numbness
Ignoring all her pain
All her cries
She doesn't want your gifts
All she needs is your presence
There's nothing else you can do for her
She needs to squeeze your hand
Share her pain
Heal together

When will you finally come
Take off your mask
Return to who you are
Come in from the sidelines
As an outside observer
Take off the neatly tailored suit
There's blood on the ground
Your house has been ransacked
Your family profaned
Don't abandon them when they are most in need
Wake up! It was just a temporary journey
HERE is the real you
We waited for you all this time
How have you forgotten yourself
How many times must we shake you
Wake up!
Look around
Do you remember this place?
Do you remember your promise?
Do you remember the tears?
When you come in to the Land
When?
When will you come?






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home