Join the Neo-Zionist
Revolution!

  • Receive our Kummunique:
    unique and informative emails
    about events, articles, and info
    to keep you in touch.

Kumah Mascots

Kumah Awards

*** THE ALIYAH REVOLUTION ALBUM ***

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Monopoly Isn't Just A Game Anymore


In a recent post, I complained about a Facebook application removing Judea and Samaria from the map of Israel, thereby prohibiting me from illustrating where I live on my profile page. I was angry that global politics had to affect something so pop-light as my Facebook profile, home to things like Zombies, Pokes, and Hatching Eggs.

Well, it appears that the global jihad just can't keep its grubby hands out of my life, and has even invaded childhood games - to that, I say "Do not pass go, do not collect $200."

I wish there were a way to display the disgusted head shaking and heavy sigh that were elicited from me when I heard about the utterly lame Monopoly scandal. If you're just making your way back from a 6 week vacation in the Tibetan country side, I'll fill you in: Hasbro, makers of the well-known Monopoly board game, decided to make an international edition, allowing people from around the world to vote for cities which would appear as squares or "properties" on the board.

In the grand tradition of the Olympics and Eurovision, patriots and loyalists around the world took to their keyboards, voting for their various cities. And then came Islam.

As per the paradoxical usual, in which Arabs are swift, organized, resourceful and ambitious in screwing up someone else's good day (and altogether incapable of any other productive endeavor), they made a big ruckus over how Jerusalem REALLY belongs to the Palestinians, blah, blah, blah, and Hasbro removed the name of Israel from alongside Jerusalem - so while Marrakesh would should up as Marrakesh, Morocco, and Sydney would show up as Sydney, Australia, Jerusalem just showed up as Jerusalem. Kind of like what will happen on my daugter's US passport now that we've registered here as having been born in the Holy City.

Of course, Jews around the world protested this rude deletion, to which Hasbro responded by removing all country names from voting. Sydney is just Sydney, and Marrakesh is just Marrakesh. And Jersualem is just Jerusalem.

Is it just me, or can this type of struggle against niche anti-Zionism become really lame and boring? So many good people spend so much time fighting over minute issues of Jewish rights and recognition in little local papers, university seminars, and Monopoly votes. Is it worth our time?

I am conflicted on the issue. On the one hand, I can't tell you how much I want to escape from these fights, which I find to be kind of pathetic and useless. So much of the world is converted to Islamophilia (or maybe it's just Islamophobia), that I doubt another letter to the editor in some small town paper is going to change much. On the other hand, how can we stand silently in ANY forum when lies are being disseminated and Jewish rights are threatened? Is it important to vote for Jerusalem in Monopoly, to have our city represented in some stupid game, or is it now important NOT to vote for Jerusalem, because it is being touted as some kind of international no-man's-land?

What do you think?

Labels: , , ,







4 Comments:

  • At 6:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm glad you are questioning the validity in such a struggle. I wish there was a vote in taking Jerusalem out of the list. The game is a waste of time for adult and child alike and it would be a great honor to Jerusalem if it weren't represented by Hasbro. For me this fake Zionist struggle goes directly to jail, not passing go, forget about your two hundred dollars.

     
  • At 8:22 AM , Blogger דן said...

    Instead of Jerusalem, the board could have PASSAIC, N.J., Ir ha-Kodesh. Then everyone would be happy.

    Dan
    Jerusalem (not Passaic, but it's home)

     
  • At 8:43 AM , Blogger Ezra said...

    I agree that this will go down in history as one of the lamest Jewish struggles ever known. A couple of interesting notes:

    1) Any marketing exec now knows that the best way to start a Jewish viral campaign is by saying or doing something construed to be against Jerusalem or the Holocaust. With some plausible deniability, enough ambiguity and good timing, such a campaign can result in millions of Jewish working email addresses and click-throughs to your web site. In this case, it may even result in every Jewish family owning SECOND Monopoly game once the ADL and Conference of Presidents steps in to "defend" Jerusalem.

    2) I even got an email from some credit card company that seemed to imply that there was a connection between signing up with them and being able to 'support' Jerusalem for this Monopoly thing.

    3) My son's US birth certificate and passport say Jerusalem without any mention of Israel. It is much easier for folks to be outraged as Hasbro then the US though.

    4) Will people be happy if Jerusalem gets second or third place? Like if J-town is on Park Place and like Cancun or NYC are Boardwalk? Icky.

    5) Hasbro marketing folks. Seriously, I know you are reading this: very clever. I'd bet money there are some Jews in the board room.

     
  • At 11:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I found it really silly for Arabs to make a big fuss about this stupid game. Jerusalem in it's oldest days and in the Koran it is mentioned that it belongs to Israel. I'm an Arab but and I know that Jerusalem is in the country of Israel. I'm just dreaming of that day when Jews and Arabs would accept each other. Hopefully it will be soon :).

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home