Join the Neo-Zionist
Revolution!

  • Receive our Kummunique:
    unique and informative emails
    about events, articles, and info
    to keep you in touch.

Kumah Mascots

Kumah Awards

*** THE ALIYAH REVOLUTION ALBUM ***

Sunday, July 27, 2008

The Good Things



Jacob Richman wrote:

Hi Everyone!

On Friday afternoons, I buy several newspapers including Hebrew ones. Every so often, the Hebrew newspapers include a special insert. If we get a new Israeli president there will be a picture of him / her; if a sports team wins a champinship there may be a picture of them; before Passover you can find a free Haggadah; and before Israel Independence Day there is a large flag folded inside the paper.

This past Friday (July 25), there was a small glossy, two-sided, flyer in the Yediot Achronot newspaper.

On the front of the flyer is a family eating together at the table. The Hebrew text reads: Friday is Reserved for My Family To talk, laugh, eat together. There is one day of the week that you can sit with the whole family and connect. So we declare: Friday is Reserved for My Family.

On the back of the flyer is the Shabbat Kiddush:



After close to 24 years in Israel, I still find nice surprises in the most unexpected places.

Shavua Tov,
Jacob

Labels: , ,







3 Comments:

  • At 12:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'd rather people not read Yediot Aharonot. They have a lot more tshuva to do for past and current crimes.

     
  • At 7:30 PM , Blogger Yechiel (Jonny) said...

    I think it's great that Yediot Achronot did this, Kol HaKavod to them (I think that's the 1st time I ever said that to them), but I found it weird how they never say "Shabbat" - they say "Shishi Shamur..." - "Friday (the 6th day) is reserved for my family". Now I know that even in English we refer to the night of Shabbat as, "Friday night," and almost definitely not "Saturday night," so how can I fault Yediot for calling it "Shishi" (Friday [night]) and not "Shabbat" (Shabbat or Saturday [night])? But in Judaism, since the day starts at nightfall and not midnight, what we call Friday night - the night of Shabbat - is really Saturday night. What we call Saturday night - Motza'ei Shabbat - is really Sunday night. I know this is very confusing in the world we live in, and I'm not asking us to change our lingo completely (though halachically we probably should), but something about hearing Shabbat night referred to as Shishi in Hebrew bothers me. It's Shabbat night! Kiddush starts out saying that Shishi is over, Hashem finished all His work, etc... I wish Yediot would've given a little extra honor to Shabbat in doing this, by saying "Shabbat", even if they had to put "Leil Shishi" in parentheses next to it to make it understood.

     
  • At 9:41 AM , Blogger Yishai said...

    Right on Jonny! If Shabbat is good enough for Him, it's good enough for me.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home