Join the Neo-Zionist
Revolution!

  • Receive our Kummunique:
    unique and informative emails
    about events, articles, and info
    to keep you in touch.

Kumah Mascots

Kumah Awards

*** THE ALIYAH REVOLUTION ALBUM ***

Monday, June 18, 2007

I Graduated Machon Lev!


I graduated college in Israel!

First of all, I would like to apologize for posting so infrequently lately. I've been quite busy the last few weeks, but I hope to start posting a lot more often now. My excuse (among others): I graduated college last week! And my parents were in town to celebrate for the last week and half so I was busy with them.

Since I graduated from a college in Israel, I thought it was worthy of a Kumah post. The school I graduated from is a college, not a university, as it only offers undergraduate degrees at this point. It offers a variety of engineering and business majors. However, it is a very unique institution in that the school requires at least 3 hours of Judaic studies in the Beit Medrash with a choice of a number of Rabbis in the morning, in addition to the secular classes in the afternoon. Think Yeshiva University in Jerusalem.

My school is located in the Givat Mordechai neighborhood of Jerusalem. It is called Machon Lev (Lev Institute) and is only for men, but it is under the umbrella of The Jerusalem College of Technology, which includes Machon Naveh (night school on my campus), and campuses for women called Machon Tal in Givat Shaul, Jerusalem and another called Machon Lustig in Bnei Brak. My degree is a Bachelors of Technology and Applied Sciences in Computer Science. The school also has an English Speakers' Program for the first year (which I started in and became madrich of for a few years), which includes an Ulpan to help you learn Hebrew so you can integrate into the school and life in Israel, and it also provides tutors to help you when you move into Israeli classes.

If you have any questions about the school, please feel free to ask me. The website for the English Speakers' Program is: http://esp.jct.ac.il and for the school itself is: http://www.jct.ac.il. I highly recommend it for the 1st year to any English speaker (during the post-high school year in Israel or after some time in Yeshivah in Israel or even as a transfer/study-abroad student from America), and as a college for any religious student interested in a major it offers. Here are some pictures from the ceremony:

Diverse crowd of family and friends fill the amphitheater on campus
Ethiopians, Americans (my parents, 2nd row), Israelis, and more

Marching in (not quite as organized as a fancy American ceremony)

Some graduates wear white and blue, others are in a special program in the army where they work in the fields they studied. Those people come to the ceremony in uniform. No caps and gowns.
The Valedictorian speaks. At the dais are the president and Rosh Yeshivah among others.
My fan club - all English speakers (most from America) who have moved to Israel and are studying or teaching at the school or other colleges in Israel.

Labels: , , ,







7 Comments:

  • At 5:15 PM , Blogger גיל רונן said...

    מזל טוב!

     
  • At 6:09 PM , Blogger Malkah said...

    Hey! Congratulations! Do you feel you got a top-quality education? I think olim wonder about the value of an Israeli education, so please give us the lowdown!

     
  • At 6:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Congratulations and best wishes!
    May you be blessed for a long and happy life in the land of Israel.

     
  • At 10:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Mazal tov to Yechiel and to all graduates of Machon Lev.
    We are proud of you!

     
  • At 8:18 AM , Blogger Avi said...

    מזל טוב

    but man, this is Israel, someone should wear a tie.

    As for me, I'm getting my MA from Hebrew University - Israel's top educational institution - today.

     
  • At 10:13 AM , Blogger Yechiel (Jonny) said...

    Thanks for all the good wishes!
    Malkah, I feel like a got a top-quality education. Israeli colleges tend to not have much of a core-curriculum, but still require the same number of credits, so for an undergrad degree, you might not be as much of a renaissance man, but you might know your field even better than someone in America. The level of education is definitely as good (though obviously some schools are better than others). And it must be because Israelis have made so many technological advances (and in all other areas as well) and many of them have done that after studying here. Finally 1 other important point - if you are going to make aliyah, it might even be better to go to school in Israel (besides getting it for free as an oleh chadash benefit) because you will learn your field in Hebrew so you won't need a technical ulpan before working, and you make connections in Israel in your field - protectzia for later!

     
  • At 5:26 PM , Blogger Edward F. Villa said...

    Very Nice, Yechiel ! Mazel Tov and I wish you much success and joy in your homeland, Israel !


    Always good to hear good news! Keep it up!

    Edward Francisco Villa

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home